Saturday, February 5, 2011

Project 365: #29 - Lighthouse


29 of 365
Originally uploaded by caliguyinmn
I was very much looking forward to beging up in Duluth. The weather was warm, relatively speaking, which means I'd be able to be outside and get some awesome photographs of Lake Superior. As I walked along a trail that paralleled the lake, I spied the lighthouse. I immediately started taking pictures. Although, I really enjoy the shots I got, there was just something lacking. That was until I came across an anchor in Canal Park. Being able to include the anchor in the foreground gave the photo you see a good sense of depth and scale. I played a bit with aperture settings, trying to decide whether I wanted both the anchor and the lighthouse in focus or just one. Ultimately, I thought having both in focus gave the photo an interesting feel. One of my key focuses over the next few weeks is playing with and learning how to best use depth of field to communicate emotion and tell a story. Be on the lookout as the summer months approach for more lighthouse photography. There is something very intriguing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment