Thursday, April 14, 2011

Project 365: #97 - Class Ring

97 of 365 by caliguyinmn
97 of 365, a photo by caliguyinmn on Flickr.
Well since being pegged for a wedding in September, I have been rather deliberate about shooting specific shots. Portraits have been high on the list as have those of using flash(es), using natural light, using both, capturing candid photos and intentionally setting up shots. Well, tonight I decided was a great night to photograph a ring. READ: It was overcast and rainy outside. Tonight I put in use my light box, which really I purchased for fun, but it very much has practical uses. Quite obviously, currently I do not have ready access to a shining diamond ring. What I do have though is my class ring from all those years ago. I knew I would appreciate it once more. I played with lighting and flash combos for the better part of half an hour and will say that it can be darn challenging to get the background dark while fully illuminating the ring and stone. This photo went through some postprocessing as evidenced by the blue around the ring but I really like the effect. As I shadow a few photographers at weddings this summer, I'm sure to get to learn more about lighting and rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment