Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lesson #6 - Take a Risk


Fully Engaged
Originally uploaded by caliguyinmn
One of the biggest things I am reminded of in my adventure of photography is that the only limitations on its potential are ones I place on it. Digital photography has allowed me, and countless others I'm sure, to dabble in an activity that was rather unattainable in the past. No more did I concern myself with quality of pictures because of the limitations that a film camera imposed. I could mess up time and time and time again with a digital camera and with the press of a button, start from scratch and do it again. I imagine I will always take full advantage of this technology. The risk associated with using numerous rolls of film for one acceptable picture is gone, but I see risk as a key component of photography.

One risks putting their work out there for the entire world to see and criticize. What if no one else appreciates it? What if it just really isn't that good? I think we all go through this mind talk in many areas in life. The truth is, maybe no one will like it one bit. Who cares?! Get it out there. Share your art. For me, because I exposed myself to potential criticism, I realized I might actually have found something I really, really enjoy to be a talent.

Risk is not a one-and-done type thing. It is continuous. Whether it be photography or any other aspect of life, do not fear failing. Failure will only lead you on the right path to success. Remove the self-imposed limitations, and be amazed at your potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment